Agenda and minutes

Licensed Transport Forum - Thursday, 12 March 2020 10:00 am

Venue: Room 11/12/13 Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh SO50 9YN

Contact: Nikki Dunne, Democratic Services Officer, 02380 688298 Email: 

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 62 KB

To consider the Minutes of meeting held on 13 January 2020.


The Chair announced that Bob Parsons had resigned from the Forum.




That the Minutes of the meeting held on 13 January 2020 be confirmed and signed by the Chair as a correct record.


Action List Update pdf icon PDF 80 KB


The Action List was considered, and updates were provided.



The Senior Licensing Officer confirmed that the Safeguarding Report was ready to be presented to the Administration Committee.


Suitability Test and Handbook

A Working Group would be set up and the Senior Licensing Officer agreed to circulate dates. This would be held at the Depot.


Leigh Dodds arrived at the meeting at 10:12.


The Licensing Manager noted that there were duplicate items on the Action List. Agreed to work with Democratic Services to update.


Teresa Swann introduced herself to the Forum.





Enforcement Summary (AJ) pdf icon PDF 260 KB


The Senior Licensing Officer introduced the Enforcement Summary.


The use of magnetics was raised by Roger Vivian, as some passengers do not want to be in a marked vehicle. The Licencing Manager raised concerns regarding public safety and explained that it would be a change of conditions which would be the decision of the members on the Licensing Committee.


The Chair agreed that more work needed to be done regarding the use of magnetics and agreed to discuss this at a future meeting.




New vehicles to be licensed-full fee paid (RV)


Roger Vivian asked for clarity regarding the fee for new vehicles to be licensed. RV was concerned that if drivers registered in December, they would be charged £180 for 6 months rather than £15 per month. The Licensing Manager confirmed that whilst that was correct, the system was changed to make the processing more efficient which in turn keeps the fees and staff costs down as workload can be managed better. The bulk of the fee was the administration which was carried out at the beginning. RV requested that the figures are provided for the next meeting. The Licensing Manager agreed to ask Finance for the accounts.  


Safeguarding Courses (KM)


Kevin May raised an issue with DBS checks and Safeguarding Courses. He was aware of a case where a driver in Southampton did not put their application in on time. Their DBS did not come back in time so that driver was suspended. His licence was running out at the end of January and the DBS came back mid-February. The driver had booked on to the Safeguarding Course at the end of February as this was the next available course. The driver was then unable to work until the course had been completed, despite their DBS being completed. KM does not want this to happen to drivers in Eastleigh.


The Licensing Manager explained that they would be unable to grant a licence if the course had not been completed as it was part of the policy. If the driver failed to attend the Safeguarding Course, they would have already been issued their licence which would put the Council in a weaker position.


The Senior Licensing Officer confirmed that 2 Safeguarding Courses would be running each month. It was suggested that more courses are run in the school holidays as a lot of drivers do the school run and would not want to lose money.


Hackney Carriage Roof Signs (AJ)


The Senior Licensing Officer requested that taxi roof signs that were ripped or faded are to be upgraded.


The Head of Direct Services arrived at the meeting at 11:19.


Group 2 medicals (AJ)


The Licensing Manager advised that there were problems with surgeries not having the time to carry out medicals. They were currently exploring the possibility of 2 or 3 approved surgeries that would be prepared to do the medicals within the required timescales.