Agenda and minutes

Hedge End, West End and Botley Local Area Committee - Monday, 7 November 2016 7:00 pm

Venue: Hedge End 2000 Centre, St John's Road, Hedge End, SO30 4AF

Contact: Cheryll Kemsley, Democratic Services Officer Tel: 023 8068 8112; Email:  cheryll.kemsley@eastleigh.gov.uk  Julia Birt, Local Area Manager Tel: 023 8068 8437; Email:  julia.birt@eastleigh.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Public Participation

Minutes:

Nancy Smith, member of Hedge End, West End and Botley Labour Group addressed the Committee and spoke with regards to Moorgreen Hospital Services. She had previously addressed this Committee on 13 June 2016 stating that in spring 2015 the West Hampshire Clinical Commissioning Group (WHCCG) had printed a booklet advising that health care would be provided in the community. Since then there had been silence. Once again Nancy proposed that to resolve the situation and move things forward, funding for the centre be provided through Developers’ Contributions, NHS, and Eastleigh Borough Council.

 

The Chairman responded that a representative of the WHCCG had recently attended the Policy and Performance Scrutiny Panel meeting and had explained that a bid had been submitted in June 2016 for capital funds to invest in the redevelopment of the Moorgreen Hospital site under NHS England’s Estates and Technology Transformation Fund. Due to a large number of applications, a decision on the funding had been delayed.  The Directorate were exploring the development of clinical hubs based in Eastleigh town and at Moorgreen Hospital which would further improve how local patients could access healthcare. The premises would have the scope to provide modern consultation space, with the option to co-locate clinics, and extend access to appointments in line with the national direction of travel.

2.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 155 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 12 September 2016.

Minutes:

RESOLVED -

 

That the Minutes of the meeting held on 12 September 2016 be confirmed and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

3.

Declarations of Interest

Members are invited to declare interests in relation to items of business on the agenda.  Any interests declared will be recorded in the Minutes.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest in relation to items of business on the agenda.

4.

Chairman's report

Minutes:

Boorley Green Working Group

 

The Chairman had chaired two meetings of this working group. The layout of the community building and the design of the sports pavilion roof had been discussed. Both of these aspects had then been considered at a meeting of Botley Parish’s Full Council. Proposals for a Neighbourhood Development Worker were also being developed.

 

An additional Local Area Committee meeting had been arranged for Monday 27 March 2017 to receive the application for the remaining dwellings and reserved matters for the Boorley Green development.

 

Greta Park

 

The Chairman was pleased to inform the Committee that the new and extended play area at Greta Park had been completed. The play area was already being well used by youngsters who were enjoying the variety of activities and challenges on offer!

 

Public Inquiries

 

Following on from the disappointing outcome of the recent public inquiry for 100 dwellings off Botley Road, the Chairman thanked the many local residents and Councillors who contributed to the Inquiry.

 

Members should also be aware that the public inquiry for 200 dwellings off Bubb Lane would commence on 11 July 2017 at the Ageas Bowl.

 

Turnpike Way Park and Stride

 

Following the closure of the Park and Stride site at the former Budgens’ car park, Hedge End Town Council had agreed that the car park at the Turnpike Way recreation ground could be used as a new Park and Stride site. This would be officially launched once discussions were completed with the Head teachers of Wildern and Shamblehurst Schools.

 

The B&Q site off Charles Watts Way was also a Park and Stride site for these schools.

 

Townhill Farm District Centre

 

Extensive repairs to the District Centre had now been completed by the management company, Park Lane Block Management. These repairs included improvements to the car park, cladding, guttering and fencing. The surrounds, including hedges and borders, had been landscaped giving a much improved appearance.

 

Ageas Bowl Liaison Panel

 

Finally as a quick reminder, the annual meeting of the Panel would be held Thursday 10 November at the Ageas Bowl.

5.

Area Manager's report

Minutes:

Traffic Regulation Orders

 

The consultation for the proposed traffic regulation orders in Hedge End, West End and Botley had commenced. Residents who wished to comment either to object, or support the proposals, were asked to use the link on the Council’s website: https://www.eastleigh.gov.uk/parking,-travel-roads/traffic-orders/traffic-orders.aspx

The traffic team would then assess the comments and make final recommendations on the proposals.

 

Responses to Councillors’ requests

 

Brunel Close, Hedge End - a fence and rail near to the watercourse in Brunel Close were damaged beyond repair. This section of fencing had now been completely repaired.

 

Creedy Gardens - residents requested that the planters outside their properties were removed as they had been damaged. The Committee financed this work and a small open space had now been created which would be maintained by Direct Services.

 

Swincombe Rise - a scheme was being designed to deflect water away from the backs of several properties after heavy flooding and it was hoped that works would be undertaken in the near future.

 

HEWEB Business Community Group

 

The latest meeting was well attended by representatives of local businesses. The Council’s Chief Executive, Nick Tustian gave a presentation on devolution. A question and answer session followed his presentation and Nick also updated the Group on the Council’s progress with the Local Plan.

 

Youth Grants

 

Hedge End, West End and Botley Local Area Committee had continued its support for local organisations involved with services for young people. It had allocated £4,000 towards the annual youth grants which last year were awarded to 12 groups including scouts, rangers, explorers and young carers. For more information about how to apply for this year’s grants, please email: donna.love@hedgeend-tc.gov.uk.

 

Parksport 2016

 

This Committee contributed £2,000 towards the Council’s Parksport summer activities scheme for 8-16 year olds. The skate jam at Woodhouse Lane proved to be extremely popular once again with 130 young people in attendance. Friday Night Football attendances were at a record high with an average of 52 people attending per session.

 

Activities ranging from cricket, volleyball, basketball, dance, boxercise, tennis, handball, football and netball were held at Botley Recreation Ground, Moorgreen Recreation Ground, The D@rt Centre, Ageas Bowl, Woodhouse Lane, and Greta Park.

6.

Diversion of Public Footpath Cycleway at Pavilion Road, Hedge End, and Dedication of New Route pdf icon PDF 75 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Head of Transportation and Engineering (Agenda item 7) regarding this Committee’s decision to grant planning permission, subject to Section 106 conditions, on land crossed by an unnumbered, presumed dedicated public right of way. A Public Path Diversion Order was required to formally close the existing, presumed dedicated, footpath cycleway and direct along a newly created alignment.

 

RESOLVED -

 

That authorisation be given for the processing of an Order under Section 257 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 for the diversion of a public footpath cycleway off Pavilion Road, Hedge End, to a new alternative footpath cycleway route as necessary, to facilitate the construction of development that this Committee had resolved to grant planning permission for.

7.

Fees and Charges pdf icon PDF 177 KB

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Local Area Manager in consultation with the Parking Services Manager (Agenda item 8).

 

Fees and Charges for Council services were reviewed on a regular basis.  In accordance with the budget strategy approved by the Cabinet in October, fees and charges levied by the Council were being reviewed with the intention of increases being introduced with effect from January 2017 where possible.  Following a Cabinet decision in September 2012 a number of fees and charges were now set by Local Area Committees and these were the subject of this report. 

 

RESOLVED -

 

(1)  That an increase of 30p to the parking tariffs for Hedge End Station Car Park and Stroudley Way commencing from 6 February 2017 be approved, and that the Hedge End Station Car Park tariffs be fixed for two years; and

 

(2)  That the Fees and Charges for Itchen Valley Country Park to come into effect on the 1 January 2017 and 6 February 2017 be approved as outlined in the report.

8.

Community Investment Programme Priorities in Hedge End, West End and Botley pdf icon PDF 82 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Local Area Manager in consultation with the Clerks to Hedge End Town Council, West End Parish Council and Botley Parish Council (Agenda item 9)

The Community Investment Programme (CIP) priorities for Hedge End, West End and Botley (HEWEB) had been reviewed in consultation with local stakeholders. Members were invited to endorse these local area priorities for the period of 2016 – 21.

 

Members were reminded that although the priorities had been assigned for their geographical locations in Hedge End, West End and Botley, some of them had a strategic importance for the whole HEWEB area, for example Wildern School and the Ageas Bowl.

 

RESOLVED -

 

(1)  That the Community Investment Programme (CIP) priorities for the Hedge End, West End and Botley areas be noted; and

 

(2)  That the revised documents outlining CIP priorities for the period 2016 -21 as shown in Appendix 1 to the report be approved.

9.

Funding for Local Projects pdf icon PDF 145 KB

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Local Area Manager in consultation with the Construction Manager, the Tree Officer and the Clerk to Hedge End Town Council (Agenda item 10).

The recommended funding would support projects which would meet identified local needs. The projects would also contribute to the achievement of corporate priorities.

 

RESOLVED - 

(1)  That expenditure of £21,968.58 from Developers’ Contributions to complete the footpath links from Charterhouse Way to Mescott Meadows be approved;

 

(2)  That the allocation of the Developers’ Contributions of £2,312.29 for the public art project in Shafford Meadows be approved;

 

(3)  That the Chairman’s approval for dropped kerbs in Prestwood Road at a cost of £2,500 from the Committee’s reserves be noted;

 

(4)  That the Chairman’s approval for additional works to Botleigh Bridge of  £1,583.41 be noted; and

 

(5)  That the Chairman’s approval of £1,000 as match funding towards new equipment for the local speedwatch scheme be noted.

10.

Presentation on Planning Guidelines

Minutes:

Development Management staff gave a short presentation on guidelines that had to be taken into account when determining planning applications; in particular the issues that could, and could not, be taken into account.  This was set against the broader policy framework.

11.

Planning Application - 67-71 High Street, West End pdf icon PDF 487 KB

Change of use of part of rear garden of no. 9 Severn Way to provide parking for existing car dealership and erection of single storey extension to workshop building to provide an additional service bay (Ref: F/16/78928)

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Head of Development Management (Agenda item 12) concerning an application for the change of use of part of rear garden of no. 9 Severn Way to provide parking for existing car dealership and erection of single storey extension to workshop building to provide an additional service bay at 67-71 High Street, West End.

 

The Committee was advised that two further representations had been received but no new issues had been raised.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That the application be REFUSED for the reasons set out in the report.

 

(NOTE:  One member of the public spoke on behalf of residents in objection to the application, citing a number of concerns including drainage issues, encroachment, noise, lighting, air pollution and parking; and the applicant and agent spoke in support.)

12.

Planning Application - Shafford Meadows, Hedge End pdf icon PDF 601 KB

Application for non-material amendment: partial substitution of approved layout drawing as referenced in conditions 1 and 14 to allow for changes to approved parking arrangements (Ref: F/12/71663)

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Head of Development Management (Agenda item 13) concerning an application for non-material amendment: partial substitution of approved layout drawing as referenced in conditions 1 and 14 to allow for changes to approved parking arrangements.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That permission to grant a non-material amendment be REFUSED on the grounds that it was considered that the proposal represented a material change to the original planning application.

 

(NOTE: Four members of the public spoke with regards to the current and proposed parking arrangements at this location.)

13.

Planning Appeals

The Head of Legal and Democratic Services to report:-

 

(a)  that the following appeal has been lodged:-

 

16 Ullswater Avenue, West End, Southampton - Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission for the change of use from open amenity land to domestic curtilage (Ref: F/16/78552.)

 

  This was a Delegated Decision.

 

(b)  that the following appeal has been allowed:-

 

Land off Botley Road, West End – Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission for a development of up to 100 dwellings (including up to 35% affordable housing), structural planting and landscaping, informal public open space, surface water attenuation and vehicular access from Botley Road, and associated ancillary works (Ref: O/15/76418.).

 

(c)  that the following appeals have been dismissed:-

 

5 to 9 Shamblehurst Lane South, Hedge End - Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission to grant consent for the felling of four sycamore trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order (Ref: T/16/77827.)

 

This was a Delegated Decision.

 

7 Maddoxford Lane, Botley - Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission re-development of existing chalet bungalow, new roof to same of ridge height, new front extension for a double garage/secure basement storage and first floor living accommodation, new permeable driveway and landscaping to improve site access and parking (Ref: F/16/77816.)

 

This was a Delegated Decision.

Minutes:

The Head of Legal and Democratic Services reported:-

 

(a)  That the following appeal had been lodged:-

 

16 Ullswater Avenue, West End, Southampton - Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission for the change of use from open amenity land to domestic curtilage (Ref: F/16/78552.)

 

  This was a Delegated Decision.

 

(b)  That the following appeal had been allowed:-

 

Land off Botley Road, West End – Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission for a development of up to 100 dwellings (including up to 35% affordable housing), structural planting and landscaping, informal public open space, surface water attenuation and vehicular access from Botley Road, and associated ancillary works (Ref: O/15/76418.).

 

(c)  That the following appeals had been dismissed:-

 

5 to 9 Shamblehurst Lane South, Hedge End - Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission to grant consent for the felling of four sycamore trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order (Ref: T/16/77827.)

 

This was a Delegated Decision.

 

7 Maddoxford Lane, Botley - Appeal against the Council’s refusal of planning permission re-development of existing chalet bungalow, new roof to same of ridge height, new front extension for a double garage/secure basement storage and first floor living accommodation, new permeable driveway and landscaping to improve site access and parking (Ref: F/16/77816.)

 

This was a Delegated Decision.

 

RESOLVED -

 

That the report be noted.