Agenda and minutes

Bursledon Windmill Joint Management Committee - Tuesday, 12 July 2022 10:30 am, MOVED

Venue: Bursledon Windmill, Windmill Ln, Bursledon, Southampton SO31 8BG

Contact: Catherine Collins, Democratic Services Officer, Email:  catherine.collins@eastleigh.gov.uk 

Note: Moved from 14 July 

Items
No. Item

24.

Election of Chair for 2022/23

To appoint a Chair from the Hampshire County Council representatives for the 2022/23 municipal year.

 

Minutes:

The Chairmanship of the Joint Management Committee alternates annually between the two authorities. For the year 2022/23 the Chair should be appointed from the County Council members of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED –

 

It was confirmed that Councillor House was the appointed Chair of the Joint Management Committee for the 2022/23 municipal year, subject to his agreement.

 

25.

Election of Vice-Chair for 2022/23

To appoint a Vice-Chair from the Eastleigh Borough Council representatives for the 2022/23 municipal year.

Minutes:

The Vice-Chairmanship alternates annually between the two authorities. For the year 2022/23 the Vice-Chairman should be appointed from the Borough Council members of the Committee.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That Councillor Broadhurst be appointed Vice-Chair of the Joint Management Committee for the 2022/23 municipal year.

26.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 124 KB

To consider the minutes of the meeting held on 15 February 2022.

Minutes:

RESOLVED –

 

That the Minutes of the meeting held on 15 February 2022 were agreed as a correct record.

 

27.

Community Manager's Report pdf icon PDF 695 KB

Minutes:

Jessica Reilly, Operations Manager representing the Hampshire Cultural Trust, presented a report (Agenda Item 5) on activities at or relating to Bursledon Windmill covering the period from February 2022 to June 2022.

 

Councillor Cross requested confirmation if the wood to be used for the sails was naturally seasoned or forced seasoned.

 

ACTION – Hampshire Cultural Trust to confirm and notify members.

 

Councillor Cross requested confirmation of how long sails were expected to last, so that funding could be planned for their replacement plenty of time in advance.

 

ACTION – Hampshire Cultural Trust to find out the estimated life span of sails and update members at the next meeting on 17 November 2022.

 

Ross McClean, Local Area Manager, requested numbers of visitors on days when no events were planned.

 

ACTION – Hampshire Cultural Trust to collate general attendance data on weekends with no events and update the Local Area Manager.

 

Councillor Broadhurst stated it was a shame that the windmill could not been seen from the motorway due to surrounding trees.

 

ACTION – The Local Area Manager to see who owns the trees and whether tree preservation orders were present on them.

 

Councillor Broadhurst wondered if grain should be bought this autumn in preparation for the sails being repaired in the spring of 2023.

 

ACTION – Hampshire Cultural Trust to look into when the best time to buy the grain would be, and where from.

 

NOTE: (Councillor Cross left the meeting at 10.57am due to previous commitments.)

 

28.

Finance Report pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the finance reports (Agenda Item 6) presented by Jessica Reilly from Hampshire Cultural Trust, which provided an overview of the Windmill’s performance during the 2021/2022 financial year and an update from Quarter 1 against the 2022/23 budget.

 

ACTION - Hampshire Cultural Trust to ensure the last line in the ‘Income’ section of the Finance Report be changed to read that the grant came from Bursledon Parish Council, and not Bursledon Windmill.

 

The Local Area Manager requested a breakdown of what the ‘Finance, HR and IT’ amounts mentioned in the reports covered, as it seemed high.

 

The Local Area Manager also wondered if more central fundraising days could be bought, as they generated a good income in comparison to the cost.

 

ACTION – Hampshire Cultural Trust to provide a breakdown of the ‘Finance, HR and IT’ costs, and to look into whether it would be viable to increase the number of central fundraising days bought in.

 

29.

Date and Venue of Next Meeting

Next meeting will take place on Thursday 17 November 2022. Venue to be confirmed.

Minutes:

It was agreed that the next meeting would take place via Teams on Thursday 17 November 2022 at 10:30am.