Agenda and minutes

Audit and Resources Committee - Tuesday, 8 March 2022 6:15 pm

Venue: Rooms 11/12/13, Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh, SO50 9YN

Contact: Catherine Collins, Democratic Services Officer, Email: catherine.collins@eastleigh.gov.uk  Sarah King, Corporate Director, Support Services (CFO), tel 023 8068 8011 Email:  sarah.king@eastleigh.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

137.

Declarations of Interest

Members are invited to declare interests in relation to items of business on the agenda.  Any interests declared will be recorded in the Minutes.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest in relation to items of business on the agenda.

138.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 151 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting held on 8 February 2022.

Minutes:

Councillor Grajewski thanked the Legal Services Manager and Data Protection Officer (Solicitor) for looking into whether Eastleigh Borough Council had reviewed its use of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) over the last two years and updating the Committee.

 

Councillor Grajewski also thanked the Executive Head of Governance and Monitoring Officer for circulating the report on construction cost increases, that was shared with the Strategic Risk Management Group, with members of the Audit and Resources Committee via email.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That the Minutes of the meeting held on 8 February 2022 be confirmed and signed by the Chair as a correct record.

139.

Public Participation

Public seating will be limited at this meeting. You can submit questions in advance of the meeting to the following email: democratic.services@eastleigh.gov.uk. The deadline for submissions is 12pm on Monday 7 March 2022.

 

Please let us know if you wish to attend the meeting in person so that we can manage numbers. We are still encouraging all those in attendance to wear a face covering and take a lateral flow test before attendance. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND IF YOU HAVE ANY COVID-19 SYMPTOMS.

 

If you are unable to attend, then an officer of the Council can read a written statement on your behalf.

Minutes:

There was no public participation on this occasion.

140.

Action List pdf icon PDF 17 KB

Minutes:

The Committee considered the Action List, which set out the recent decisions and subsequent actions arising from the Committee.

 

The Acting Chief Internal Auditor confirmed that an external assessment of compliance was due to take place on 14 March and she would update the Committee at the June meeting.

 

It was AGREED -

 

That the Action List be noted.

141.

Internal Audit Charter 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 135 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Acting Chief Internal Auditor introduced the report which provided the Internal Audit Charter for 2022/23.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That the Committee approved the report.

142.

Internal Audit Strategic Plan 2022 - 23 pdf icon PDF 139 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Acting Chief Internal Auditor presented the Strategic Internal Audit Plan 2022/23 to the Committee.

 

Councillor Campbell requested an update to when project management and climate and environment strategy - mentioned as high risk in the audit universe table on pages 38-41 of the agenda, were last audited.

 

The Acting Chief Internal Auditor agreed to look into when they were done and let the Committee know.

 

The Chair requested that in future the table include the dates of when high-risk items mentioned in the table were last audited.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That the Internal Audit Plan 2022/23 be approved.

 

143.

Cabinet Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 170 KB

Minutes:

The Committee considered the current Forward Plan of Key Decisions.

 

Councillor Grajewski requested that items mentioned in the Forward Plan were added three months in advance.

 

It was explained that items added to the Forward Plan should be done with 28 clear days’ notice and that Executive Heads would be reminded of the deadlines.

 

It was agreed that the Forward Plan would also include which committee the items would go before in the column titled Pre-Decision Scrutiny.

 

 It was AGREED -

 

That the current Forward Plan be noted.

144.

A&R Work Programme pdf icon PDF 89 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered its current Work Programme.

 

Councillor Grajewski requested a further update on the Hampshire Community Bank.

 

The Chief Financial Officer agreed to bring a written report to the June meeting.

 

Councillor Campbell raised concerns about the Romsey Road and Old Post Office developments and requested that they be reviewed.

 

The Executive Head of Finance and Housing agreed to pick up the schemes in the next meeting of the Housing Group.

 

It was AGREED -

 

That the Work Programme be noted.

145.

Update on Staffing Matters 2021 pdf icon PDF 455 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of HR introduced the report.

 

Councillor Campbell requested that any future reports include the total number of staff in each area, so that it is easier to understand the data presented.

 

Councillor Grajewski queried whether the Council were using all of the apprenticeship levy available, and if not requested information on how much the Council was using.

 

The Head of HR agreed to find out and circulate the information to members.

 

The Chair requested that results from the Working from Home survey, which is currently being taken, be circulated to all members and added to the Work Programme.

 

The Chief Financial Officer informed members that the results from the survey would be included in the Member’s Bulletin.

 

RESOLVED –

 

That the Committee noted the report.

 

146.

Exempt Business

To consider passing a resolution under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 in respect of the following item of business on the grounds that it is likely to involve the disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

 

The Schedule 12A categories have been amended and are now subject to the public interest test, in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000.  This came into effect on 1 March 2006.

 

It is considered that the following items are exempt from disclosure and that the public interest in not disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

Minutes:

RESOLVED -

 

(1)  That, in pursuance of Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they are likely to involve the disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 2 and 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act; and

 

(2)  That, in pursuance of the public interest test, the public interest in disclosing the information contained in the following item of business was outweighed by the public interest in maintaining the exemption.

147.

Housing Acceleration Funding

Additional documents:

Minutes:

RESOLVED –

 

That the report be noted and comments made forwarded to Cabinet.